I’m not actively looking for a position, but I’m always open to interesting opportunities that align with my objectives.
I want to design and build systems that solve real problems and make a positive difference in the world.
I want to exercise my skills, grow personally and professionally, and collaborate with great people in a mission-oriented company that’s functional and healthy.
I’m open to a leadership role in which I’d be hands-on with design and development and I’d be supported in empowering people.
I prefer to work from home but I’m open to an on-site position within roughly a 90-minute commute from White Plains, New York.
- Problem analysis
- Software design, architecture, construction, deployment, and operation
- A deep & broad understanding of the World Wide Web
- RESTful Web API/service design & development
- Product design
- Data engineering
- Team/organizational leadership
See also Additional Skills below.
- Serving as principle software architect, helping to design and build the next generation of the Park Assist platform.
- Refactored a critical, complex, tangled subsystem into a loosely-coupled stream-based system using Kinesis and Go. (slides)
- Designed and implemented sophisticated integration with Twilio for SMS-based signup
- Designed and implemented a large-scale data processing tool to process billions of records very quickly.
- Designed and implemented a sophisticated system to automate Stripe subscription management, loosely-coupled with student lifecycle
changes occurring in the monolith via events reified as IronWorker tasks.
2013–2014: SFX Entertainment
- SFX acquired Arc90 in 2013 to be its internal app design and development group
- I initially adopted the title CTO; later I recruited someone to take on ~half of my role, ceded CTO to him, and adopted Chief Sofware Architect
- I helped design and build an ambitious new-from-the-ground-up streaming music platform and integrate it with existing products
- I helped shape the organization by helping craft its structure, practices, culture, goals, communication, and approach
- I recruited key personnel
- Arc90 was a Web application design & development consultancy; it was acquired by SFX Entertainment in 2013
- Wore many hats: developer, architect, team leader, partner, director
- Worked with teams to design, build, and maintain sophisticated software platforms, including:
- A Web/SOA insurance platform covering all key aspects of policy origination and management
- A Web-based search engine and reference platform for engineers
- An API at the heart of a new-from-the-ground-up news distribution platform for Reuters
- Conducted technical audits of clients’ acquisition targets
- Helped manage the business as a partner
- Managed client relationships
- Invested much time and effort in recruiting and retaining exceptional team members
- Started practice of regular company-wide code review
- Refactored, enhanced, and maintained a sophisticated application for producing custom financial documents for on-demand printing
- Team lead position for large high-traffic auction site
- Responsibilities included designing, implementing, and maintaining features; and reengineering site technology and architecture
- Created new internal tools and development procedures
- Maintained and enhanced a large-scale online employee benefits enrollment system for diverse clients with diverse needs
1998–2000: Words In Progress
- Developed requirements and specifications for high traffic websites directly with clients; crafted application architecture and database design
1998: Ideal Computer Strategies
- Worked with teams of designers, coders, and project managers to concurrently develop and deploy client websites with basic dynamic features
1997–1998: PCC Internet Design
- Founded and managed a small web design shop in Pikesville, MD providing full-service web design and development to small companies in the Baltimore area
- My current side project is Omnia, a system to search multiple document silos at once. Warning: under construction!
- A prior side project is GitHub Digests, a system to aggregate GitHub notifications into daily email digests. (If you check it out, please keep in mind that it’s only half-built, and I’m new to Ruby!)
- Another prior side project was Three Things; I published a post telling its story.
- In 2013 I published Resourceful, a Clojure library that provides a more concise and more RESTful alternative to declaring routes.
- My last major project for Arc90 was to build a new platform for reuters.com:
- I created a diagram of the overall architecture of the “Reuters Next” platform
- I was asked to review a draft of the API spec; I provided these notes
- I developed a document to capture the culture and process of my team, so we could ramp new members up quickly and effectively
- I determined that the API codebase I had inherited needed to be refactored, and wrote this summary to explain why
- When I left the project I shared my parting thoughts with the team
- I sometimes perform technical audits of existing applications or platforms. Here’s one example; I can provide more extensive examples upon request.
- I sometimes write blog posts:
I’d be happy provide more examples of my work, such as architecture diagrams and presentations, business analysis, code, etc. Just get in touch!
- Behavior Driven Development
- Browser APIs
- Business analysis
- DB Design
- Information architecture
- UX design
Thanks for scrolling all the way to the bottom of my résumé! I appreciate your interest. At this point, you might want to get in touch. Please do!